Make NYC environmentally sustainable
Create and adapt city infrastructure for a more energy efficient and environmentally sustainable. Create specialized training and thousands of union jobs for working people to develop a safer, greener city. Maintain more parks, gardens and urban farms in poor and dispossessed communities. Make NYCHA energy efficient and free from toxic chemicals. Modernize NYC’s electrical grid and source more electricity from renewable sources. End the construction and use of pipelines and the transport of fracked gas through NYC. Modernize public transportation and make it free. Create more safe bike lanes. Hold corporations accountable for pollution; reparations for communities they’ve harmed. Create more jobs within the sanitation department to expand the sanitation of poor and dispossessed communities.
- Simply put, capitalism cannot solve the crises it creates, including environmental devastation and climate change. Destructive capitalist production and fossil fuel monopolies have had devastating effects on our environment. Poor and oppressed people experience the worst of this environmental destruction: lack of access to clean water, higher exposure to pollution and chemical waste, lack of access to green public spaces, inaction from the state after disasters like hurricanes, and more.
- Our society already has the technology and ideas to solve most of the planet’s most pressing environmental issues. However, we have yet to see these initiatives implemented on a national or global scale because capitalists are more committed to protecting their profits than protecting the planet. The struggle to save our environment is a class struggle, not a struggle of morality or individual consumerism. We need to combat the institutions responsible for environmental destruction on a mass scale. In fact, the Pentagon is one of the top polluters in the world, emitting more greenhouse gases than entire countries! Chemical weapons used by the military and the police, such as tear gas used against protesters, not only have immediate dangerous, even deadly, effects on targeted victims, they can cause lasting harm to the environment, like water and air contamination. In order to save humanity and the planet, we must fight against all forms of state violence!
- We aim to reduce fossil fuel use, pollution, and environmental racism by:
- Working with experts to create and adapt city infrastructure so that our city is more energy efficient, cleaner and working in alignment with the needs of our planet.
- Creating specialized training and thousands of union jobs for working people to develop a safer, greener city — such a major change to infrastructure requires workers!
- Maintain more parks, gardens and urban farms in poor and dispossessed communities.
- Update NYCHA buildings to be more energy efficient and free from toxic chemicals such as lead.
- Modernize the city’s electrical grid and source more of the city’s electricity from renewable sources like solar panels.
- End the construction and use of pipelines in NYC. Stop the transport of fracked gas through NYC. From Standing Rock to Brooklyn, we are in solidarity with the people fighting against the construction of dangerous pipelines and defending their communities against backroom deals between the government and corporations and the dangers of pollution and exposure to toxic chemicals.
- Modernize public transportation for faster commutes.
- Make public transportation free for all riders to encourage higher ridership.
- Create more safe bike lanes.
- Hold corporations accountable: mass polluters will be forced to pay reparations to the communities they have harmed through their reckless production.
- Create more jobs in sanitation departments to clean up poor and dispossessed communities.